Monday, June 1, 2009

You learn something new every day

Last night I decided to make a recipe I found in my handy dandy MOPS cookbook. Slow cook orange honey chicken....mmmm. Only problem....it takes a whole chicken. I've NEVER dealt with a whole chicken in my entire life. That's right, I had to reach in and pull out the giblets....UGH!! HACK!! UGH!! BARFFF!!!! I HATE raw meat, but this was an entire dead bird. I thought I would vomit.

But, I managed to successfully remove the innards and then shoved a lemon up the bird's butt. And I have to say it felt kinda good in a crazy, sadistic sort of way.....muahahahahaha!! That was the hardest part of the cooking process mostly because of the gross out factor. Then I simply plopped the chicken into the crock pot and poured a mixture of 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup orange juice right over the chicken. The chicken cooked comfortably overnight for 7 hours and woke up this morning nice and golden brown smelling deliciously nauseating. Why does nothing smell good cooking when you're pregnant???

Anyway, I am very proud of myself for conquering the chicken and simultaneously cooking a nice meal for my family. All for under $8.00!!! Right now I have a cheesecake baking in the oven. I'm making it for Jesse's mom who is coming to visit tomorrow. She has offered to watch the kids for us Wed morning whilst Jesse and I get a 1 hour couples massage!! Whoo hoo! I'm super excited about some relaxation. My body is still aching after Busch Gardens on Sat. I'm getting too old for that place. It's Eve's turn to have fun now. Next year we will definitely take her and the day will be all about her.

Oh, thank you Eve for conditioning and combing my leg hair. Much appreciated. It was getting quite coarse and unruly, but thanks to some good leave in conditioner and a nice combing, it's looking good!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have watched a program on PBS Saturday that showed you how to stretch a whole chicken and get more than 1-2 meals out of it. But, it meant having to cut up a whole chicken, which isn't too bad, but most people don't anymore.

Miss Kitty

Gidget said...

that chicken sounds great