Friday, May 22, 2009

Life with kids is UNpredictable!

So today was one of those days. I went to the WIC office as previously planned, but when I got back, Jesse informed me that Eve had something in her eye. The first thing I thought was, "Oh, whatever it is will work itself out on its own...let's just go." So just to be safe, I called the pediatrician to ask about the best way to flush it out. Jesse tried, but the "speck" didn't move off her iris. We packed the kids in the car anyway to go to the YMCA.

On our way there, Eve started rubbing her eye, refusing to open it, and was just generally whining and uncomfortable. I called the doc again and they were able to get us in right then. It's a good thing b/c we already had the kids in the car and were already halfway in that direction. Once in the exam room, the doc wanted to put these eye drops in her eye that turned yellow and glowed in a black light. They were supposed to show if there was any sort of scratch on her cornea or something was imbedded. The doc didn't see an indication of either, but was nonetheless perplexed as to why the darn thing wasn't budging.

So........we ended up at the opthamologist less than an hour after that appt ended per the pediatrician's referral. Poor Eve. More torture awaited. The eye doc wanted to make sure he was able to get the speck out, but before he did he had to put more torturous numbing drops in her poor little eye. She was screaming the whole time, saying "All done!! All done!! Buh bye!! Buh bye!!" That is Eve for "Ok, enough of that, I'm outta here!!" Then to make the situation even worse...they had to use this evil looking device for keeping her eyes open. I couldn't watch this part. Then the doc was able to get the speck out with a cotton swab.

I thought it was over...

Then the doc informs us that it was a piece of iron. So what does iron do when it gets wet? That's right....rusts. So now she has rust left in her eye that likely needs to be removed. There is a chance that in a day or two, the body's natural immune response will "push" the rust to the surface and naturally expell it, but it's likely going to have to be removed and Eve will have to be put to sleep.

ALL BECAUSE OF A SPECK???? WHAT???!!!!!!

And now of course Eve doesn't want anyone going near her eyes and I not only have to apply antibiotic ointment in her eyes 3x a day, but she has to go back to the eye doc tomorrow morning to determine what to do next....and she's gonna have to get those lovely numbing drops again so the doc can get a good look. Yay!! I can't wait to see my little girl get tortured again.

So after all of this, I'm glad we ended up taking her to the doc, but I HATE everything she had to go through today. Poor girl. She was so brave. After today's appt, the receptionist let her pick out a pair of toddler sunglasses (with UV protection of course). Eve picked "color blue" sunglasses....she says the word "color" before each color she says. Funny. Anyway, I don't know if I would have done as well as Eve did today. She's a trooper.

1 comment:

Amos said...

Oh My Gosh! What a day...poor little girl! So what was the rash from? Rust?